Photo by Chunky Monkey Photography

Monday, May 7, 2012

Jalapeno Salsa Breakfast Casserole


I've tried many different recipes for breakfast casseroles... there are tons of great ones.  I combined some recipes to come up with one that my family loves.  It's cheesy, it's spicy, it's got potatoes and sausage... you can't go wrong with that combo!  The key ingredient is the green salsa.  It's not your typical green salsa... there are NO tomatillos! It's green because of the jalapeno's.  Yum yum!


1 dozen eggs
Mrs. Renfro's green salsa
1 lb of mexican style shredded cheese
1 lb of breakfast sausage, browned
1/2 bag of shredded hashbrown potatoes
Lawry's season salt

Spread potatoes on the bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish and season with Lawry's.  Top with sausage then cheese.  Beat eggs and mix with salsa.  I use between 1/3 and 1/2 a jar depending on who I am feeding.  If I were ONLY feeding my husband, I could add the whole jar.  Pour eggs over top of the cheese.  Bake at 350 until center is set -  I honestly can't remember how long... at least half an hour but just check periodically.  If the center jiggles when you shake it, bake it some more. 

You can always prepare the night before and just bake it first thing in the morning.  I keep forgetting to buy the mexican style cheese so last time I used mild cheddar that I had on hand and tomorrow I'll have it with colby.  We've made it so often we've nearly used up half a hog's worth of sausage my husband made.  I guess we'll have to go back to Jimmy Dean! :)

*I forgot actual pictures of the casserole!  I'll try to remember next time I make it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment