Photo by Chunky Monkey Photography

Monday, April 29, 2013

It's 12:30a.m. and I'm....

It's 12:30a.m. and I'm up looking at the Farm & Garden section of craigslist and googling milking machines. Ha!  I can honestly say I never expected stuff like this to be on my mind in the middle of the night!  James and I are SO anxious to get our farm going.  Our goal in farming?  Well, to sustain our family - provide enough milk, eggs and produce for us and if we have extra we can sell it.  Maybe beef, pork, and chicken too.  I don't know how I feel about eating animals that I personally took care of... I'm afraid I'll have the "it's my pet" mindset but maybe not.  Oh, and bees!  We might get brave enough to get a beehive.  That would probably be James's baby though. I'm terrified of getting stung.  We have so much work to do to get things going.  It feels like it is taking FOREVER.  Partly because it took so long to find land and partly because we're excited and wanting to do everything N-O-W. We have some secondary dreams, too.  A petting zoo.  And a baseball field. Yep.  A baseball field.  In our yard... er... pasture.  We have 24 acres to work with.  Half of it is already cleared and has a garden on it.  The other half is heavily wooded and COVERED in poison ivy and poison oak.  I don't know what poison sumac looks like but it's probably there, too.  We also have dewberry vines, ant hills, and what I think is coastal hay.  Well, I am going to try and force myself to sleep now.  G'night!

1 comment: